For more information on the Creating Safe, Equitable and Thriving Communities Fund, please contact Rachel Rockwell.
The Creating Safe, Equitable & Thriving Communities Fund was established in 2018 through a partnership with the City of Cedar Rapids, Linn County, and the Cedar Rapids Community School District to address inter-relational factors that lead to youth violence in Cedar Rapids. Grants from this fund work toward creating a safe, equitable and thriving community.
Focus and Goals
The Creating Safe, Equitable & Thriving Communities Fund offered its first grant cycle in March 2019 for summer programming and the second grant cycle in October 2019. The fund distributed over $160,000 in grants in 2019. It funded programs that approach systemic causes of economic, racial and academic disparities and/or aims to avoid, reduce or stop high risk behaviors that can lead to involvement with the criminal justice system. Priority is given to projects informed by research and evidence-based practices, and to applicants who involve directly affected community members in program design and implementation. Eligible expenses (in addition to usual programmatic expenses such as staff, space, and supplies) may include addressing barriers to access such as transportation, childcare, meals/incentives, etc.
- The Community Foundation accepts applications from nonprofit organizations with a 501(c)(3) status and governmental organizations.
- Organizations that are not 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations should contact Rachel Rockwell for further discussion at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Collaboration between public, private, grassroots and nonprofit organizations is encouraged. Multiple organizations may submit a joint application for a collaborative project.
- Fundraising events and activities
- Religious activities: contact program officer for clarification
- Expenses for projects and programs that have already occurred or will occur during the grant review process
Maximum Request Amount
Duration of Grant
Thursday, October 1, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. CST
Because this grant program is seeking to address complex issues, we recognize that potential applicants might benefit from exploring effective and promising solutions and community connections. We will hold three virtual Planning Sessions to help foster learning and collaborative efforts between public, private, grassroots and nonprofit organizations. The dates for the 2020 Planning Sessions are:
Friday, July 24, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. on Zoom. More information here.
Friday, August 7, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. on Zoom. More information here.
*The third Planning Session that was originally scheduled on August 14 and postponed to August 21 had been cancelled due to the derecho. A recording of the content can be viewed here.
To download the Creating Safe, Equitable and Thriving Communities Fund Grant Application, click here.
Rachel Rockwell, Program Officer, at email@example.com or at 319.200.4007.
To learn more about the Creating Safe, Equitable & Thriving Communities Fund, click here.