Nonprofit Party at the Market
On Thursday, September 14, 2023, more than 150 nonprofit professionals gathered for the Nonprofit Party at the Market held at NewBo City Market from 4:30 to 6:00 p.m. The Nonprofit Party is an annual celebration of local nonprofit professionals and the incredible work they do to strengthen our community. It’s a relaxing evening of connecting and celebrating.
The Community Foundation is proud to partner with our local nonprofit sector and we enjoyed connecting and celebrating with attendees!
At the event, 12 nonprofit employees (leaders or staff members) or founders of Linn County nonprofit organizations were recognized as Spirit of Minnie Rubek honorees. The recognition goes to a nonprofit professional who has gone “above and beyond” in their commitment and dedication to their organization and its mission. They exhibit the spirit of Minnie Rubek in their nonprofit work.
About Minnie Rubek
Minnie Rubek is an unsung heroine of our community and an important person in the history of the Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation. Minnie worked as a member of the housekeeping staff at Interstate Power and Light for many years. Upon her passing, she left her estate to the Community Welfare Foundation—the predecessor of the Community Foundation—in what was a transformative gift for the organization and the greater community. Her work and dedication over many years made a lasting, albeit quiet, impact on the community as a whole.
2023 Spirit of Minnie Rubek Honorees
Congratulations to the 2023 Spirit of Minnie Rubek honorees who work tirelessly behind the scenes, going above and beyond in their commitment to their organizations and communities.
- Amy Brunner, Director of Community Engagement, Girl Scouts of Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois
- Polly Draker, Clinic Supervisor, His Hands Free Clinic
- Alicia Faust, Executive Director, Willis Dady Homeless Services
- Leland Freie, Nutrition Specialist, Foundation 2 Crisis Services
- Rozana Garrison, Women’s Services Recovery Specialist, Catherine McAuley Center
- Katie Goedken-Fennell, Site Assistant, The Arc of East Central Iowa
- Jeff Hazzard, Helping Hands Ministry Program Coordinator, Ecumenical Community Center Foundation
- Rhonda Martin, Assistant to the Athletic Director, Mount Mercy University – Athletic Department
- Jessica Peel-Austin, Curator of Museum Collections, Brucemore
- Alice Silver, Food Service Manager, Tanager
- Sandy Osborn, Nutrition Services Manager, Horizons
- Yer Vang, Director of Immigration Legal Services, Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Dubuque
Past Nonprofit Professional Recognitions and Honorees
The Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation has been recognizing nonprofit professionals since 2002 through several recognitions and awards for their leadership, commitment and dedication to the mission of their organizations.