Carrie Walker, Project Manager
Over the past few years, there have been a number of straight-line wind, tornado, and flash flood events in non-metro Linn County communities. During the same time, area towns participated in the mandated hazard mitigation plan that helps communities plan for more resilient infrastructure. To build on that understanding and knowledge, the Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation has received a grant to fund and lead community-based disaster training opportunities for leaders in non-metro Linn County. The trainings will address preparation for a community response following a disaster. Topics include raising recovery funds, identifying volunteers, and utilizing available relationships so that recovery can begin as quickly and effectively as possible. The grant funding is made possible through the organization’s involvement in the Philanthropic Preparedness, Resilience, and Emergency Partnership (PPREP), a project of the Funders’ Network for Smart Growth and Livable Communities. PPREP is a cohort of 19 community foundations and regional grantmaking associations who meet to learn the tools and knowledge to serve their communities for disaster preparedness and recovery.
The purpose of this project is to equip Linn County communities with the information, organizational connections, and activation-ready fundraising and marketing plans so that each community can respond quickly and effectively to disaster situations.
- Form and build relationships with key community leaders throughout Linn County.
- Help prepare Linn County communities for potential disasters through sharing information and beginning steps of preparation.
- Prepare communities to raise funds quickly in the event of a disaster.
This initiative will help Linn County communities:
- Engage key leaders to grow their knowledge of potential disasters.
- Examine community needs in the event of a disaster.
- Prepare an avenue for fundraising in the event of a disaster.
- Conduct a learning opportunity for key community leaders regarding disaster preparation.
- Maintain current plans through an annual learning network gathering.
- Connect Linn County communities to disaster preparation and recovery partners.
Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation with funding from the Philanthropic Preparedness, Resiliency & Emergency Partnership (PPREP), a project of The Funders’ Network for Smart Growth and Livable Communities.